Nothing can beat a properly cooked, delicious and succulent roast chicken.
- 1.8-2kg chicken
- 2 garlic cloves, bashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 50g butter, softened
- juice of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 220.
- Put the chicken in a large roasting tin, then stuff the garlic and bay leaves into the cavity.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with butter, then squeeze over the lemon juice and add the lemon halves to the inside of the chicken.
- Season inside and out, then cook the chicken for 20 mins.
- Turn the oven down to 190 °C and cook for a further 45 mins or until the chicken juices run clear when you pierce the thigh with a knife.
- Leave to rest for 15 mins before carving.