A great one-pot rice dish that can still be served up a few days later – perfect for leftovers.
- 8 chicken pieces
- 10 ml (2 tsp) chicken spice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground ginger
- 10 ml (2 tsp) turmeric
- 10 ml (2 tsp) medium curry powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 x 250 ml (4 cups) cooked rice
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 375 ml (1½ cups) frozen peas, rinsed in warm water
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 °C and lightly grease a roasting pan with oil. Season the chicken pieces with chicken spice, salt and pepper. Place on the prepared pan and grill in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, green pepper and garlic. As soon as they are soft, stir in all the spices and the bay leaves. Cook over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and cooked chicken pieces and stir. Pour the stock over the mixture, reduce the heat, cover with the lid and simmer for about 8 minutes until done.
- Add the peas to the pan and cook for 2 minutes until
Serves 4 to 6